The old name for this small resort was `St-Pierre-de-Riou-Caou' or ruisseau chaud, hot stream. Barbotan is the name of a family that settled there around 1220, though the discovery of Gallo-Roman remains means that there was activity there long before.
Little remains of the medieval castle apart from a tower, known as the tour de crime. Legend has it that a lord of Barbitan committed a murder, and the castle was demolished as a punishment, leaving just the tower as a reminder of the dreadful deed.
|Well organised thermal baths ||Spas|
|Avec 17,000 curistes, c'est la 1ere station Européenne pour traiter la circulation veineux associée aux rheumatisms. La station acceuille les touristes pour la remise en santé de quelques jours à plusieurs semaines.|
|Large lake (50 Ha) ||Water Sports|
|Rowing, sailing, wind-surfing|
© 123Voyage, 1997 - 2014
Site v 2.1